Residential Real Estate

Buying or selling a home or cottage has in some ways become simpler, and in other ways more complex, in recent years.

Electronic land registration is now mandatory in Ontario, and requires the participation of a specially licensed lawyer to be involved at the time of the registration of the title transfer. With limited exceptions, one lawyer must sign the electronic document on behalf of the seller, and a separate lawyer must sign the same document on behalf of the purchaser.

Your lawyer can best help if he is consulted before you sign the contract to buy or to sell - the lawyer is the only person in the negotiation process who has no vested interest except the representation of his client, and can be sure that your important expectations are properly reflected in the agreement of purchase and sale.

There are several authoritative sources of detailed information setting out the expected professional obligations of a lawyer when representing a buyer or a seller.

Joel Kennedy

parry sound lawyer georgian bay lawyer real estate perry sound cottage will ontario joel kennedy law commercial georgian bay muskoka corporation corporate legal litigation